As Margie and I celebrate 30 years of marriage today I was reflecting on our beginnings and journey to this point in our lives. I attribute our 'success' in marriage to three things; Jesus Christ, mentors, and biblical blueprints. Our personal relationships with Jesus Christ gives us the capacity to grow together in unity. Christ-following mentors early in our relationship lived out a picture of what it looks like when two imperfect people join together in marriage. Biblical teaching in our churches and the Weekend to Remember® getaways we attended throughout our years of marriage have provided solid blueprints on which to build a strong marriage foundation.
In a recent Marriage Memo article, God's Purposes for Marriage, Dennis Rainey writes that "three purposes give your marriage a sense of direction, internal stability, and the stamp of God’s design. They lift your marriage above the everyday, run-of-the-mill relationship and place it on a high and lofty spiritual plane." These purposes are; 1) Mirror God’s image, 2) Complete each other and experience companionship, and 3) Multiply a godly legacy. Margie and I took these teachings to heart in 1980 and look at us now! To God the glory!
You can find out more details about building a strong marriage foundation in the book Starting Your Marriage Right, by Dennis and Barbara Rainey, Thomas Nelson Publisher, 2000. Or you may listen to Dennis and Barbara on a Starting Your Marriage Right CD from FamilyLife®.
Monday, June 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment