Monday, December 14, 2009

The Heart of Christmas

The Heart of Christmas by permission of author/artist Jim McMurry. The words say it all...

The wind is growing colder
Winter's in the air
School is finally out and
Christmas lights are everywhere
The tree is decorated
All the presents underneath
But there is something missing
On this snowy Christmas Eve

Once again the thought returns
That finally I must face
Amid this tinsel and the lights
What room is there for grace?
Why have I traded so much love
I never will replace
With all these shiny things
These little things

Lord, return me to the heart of Christmas
Turn me to the One to whom I pray

To the Baby in a manger
To the Star of Bethlehem
Turn me to the One You sent to save

Things were not this way, I know
Not many years ago
It seemed that Christmastime was
So much more than wreaths and snow
My heart burned with a passion
For the holy infant child
What glory and what majesty
In an newborn lying mild

I wonder, was it cold that night
As they laid Him in the hay?
Were the stars so blazing bright
That nighttime seemed like day?
Could they hear the angels singing praises in the Name?
Of the baby boy
The Father's joy

Lord, return me to the heart of Christmas
Turn me to the One to whom I pray
To the Baby in a manger
To the Star of Bethlehem
Turn me to the One You sent to save

As I look around me
I begin to feel ashamed
How have I turned so far away?
Why did I trade such riches
For things that fade away
I’ve traded gifts of gold
For gifts of clay

Lord, return me to the heart of Christmas
Help me find my way back to the place
Where all my worship is for
You my Savior
And all I long for is Your grace
Turn my heart again to
You my Savior
Let Christmas time be filled with grace
Let Christmas time have room for grace

No comments:

Post a Comment