Lately I realized that because of my fallen nature I was missing the emphasis of this verse. Over the years of using this verse the initial pronoun 'I' became the emphasis. I, instead of Christ, took center stage. Recently another portion of Scripture has clarified Paul's intent and my application of the power of Christ in me.
Such is the confidence that we have through Christ toward (in) God. Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God, who has made us competent to be ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit. For the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:4-6 (ESV)
Believers in Jesus Christ are not sufficient in and of themselves. But rather their sufficiency is from God! It is God the Father who saved us. God the Father makes us sufficient to minister. No matter what our role in the body of Christ is (father, mother, pastor, missionary, electrician, clerical worker, etc.) we are sufficient only through God's grace of being made sufficient.
My application of this verse now is one of worship. Worship of a God who so loves that he has given me sufficiency to minister. I can now worship God in all situations knowing that he has given me the sufficiency to meet the challenge of the moment. It is not about I, but it is about God the Father, his son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. Each and all are worthy of our honor and praise.
No comments:
Post a Comment