My dad recently shared the importance of the Bible verses found in Matthew 5:43-48 to his life . This prompted me to put together the following thoughts on love and self-control.
I have recently been meditating on the biblical concept of love and have come to conclude that there is a direct relationship between love and self control. 2 Timothy 1:7, "for God has given us a spirit not of fear, but of power and love and self control."
Since the biblical concept of love (agape) is an action, if I act lovingly towards others I will be exercising self-control. If I exercise self-control in all matters, then I will be expressing love in word and deed.
This connection between love and self-control is also mentioned in Galatians 5:22-23a. "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, gentleness, self-control." There in lies the answer, that is, "the fruit of the Spirit". I must be filled with the power of the Holy Spirit moment by moment in order to express love and self-control in my life.
Thursday, March 24, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment